Monday, December 3, 2007

Xmas Trees

So every year here at the Celtic Castle, we decorate for the holidays. And every year, it's the same routine. The Celtic Consort pulls a ton of boxes full of STUFF out of the attic. He then piles the boxes in various areas for me to access. His entire involvement with indoor decoration extends to putting up the tree in it's most basic form. Seen here looking like nothing more than Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree.

Oh and his favorite part: The Bumble




Next up: Fluffing! Yes every year it's my job to "fluff" the tree. This means that I've got to take the tree from looking like some strangled branch to a full size tree. Breathing life back into the smashed branches from being packed away for a full 11 months. After I'm done it looks like this:









So then we begin to decorate. Wrap on the lights, multicolored for us. Then comes garland. It's a lot less mess than icicles and more dog friendly. I found some this year with some holly shaped pieces which carry meaning for me. Then there are all the basic balls and stars. They LOOK like they are glass but they are actually plastic. I got them the first year we had a tree when Elder Celting was still a toddler. This means non breakable ornaments. Then comes all the ornaments we collect. My mom is a big Hallmark addict. So everyone gets at least 2-3 ornaments every year. Each one has a story. This is my favorite part of the season. Telling the stories behind ornaments. Even my grandfather's tree has stories behind it. Like the angel my cousin made when she was 5.... she's now 26. There's those hot pink God's Eyes from Laurie I think. Oh and don't forget the Lifesaver/yarn guy I made in Sunday school. And in the end, I get a holiday miracle.

Next time: Woogie Woogie Cookies

3 comments:

Downtown Dancing Knitter said...

You did MIRACLE work on that Charlie Brown Xmas tree. :)

DPUTiger said...

We just decorated our first-ever tree last night. It's a little sparse decoration-wise, but we're just gonna keep looking out for ornaments we like. Your tree looks awesome!

Rani said...

HA HA!! The Bumble made me laugh - they bounce you know.

I don't envy your tree fluffing, but the story telling sounds wonderful.

Merry Christmas!!