Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Happy Solstice

Happy Solstice a little early! For those who know me, you know that tomorrow is a holiday, Summer Solstice. Apparently the magic of the day has come a little early to my house. I took the day off to get to an appointment for Elder Celting. This left me with a day to myself to enjoy the knitting I would do all day every day if I could. So imagine my surprise when I found not one but TWO packages in my mailbox. The first was from my exchange partner Mary Pat. Now here's a woman who knows my weaknesses. She sent a mug from her local chapter of the TKGA. This will be headed into the office tomorrow. In addition, she sent a Stitchkeepers which will help me keep my sock in sock from slipping off the needles. Funny thing was that when I read about them in Knitty's latest feature, I was thinking I needed to order some for our next exchange for HER! There was also a Go Knit Pouch in my favorite color and two bags of candied nuts which I can tell you already are tasty. :)


The second package was my latest installment from the Rockin' Sock Club. And rather appropriate for my celebrations tomorrow. The yarn is STR lightweight in a colorway named Firebird. All sorts of flamy colors in there. To show it off the pattern is The Solstice Slip. Rather on the money don't you think? Now the pattern can be done toe up or cuff down and I'm debating. I've been trying to get out of my usual groove so I might just do the toe up version. I don't understand the rabid devotion of toe up or cuff down that some folks have about socks. Me personally, I started with cuff down so that's what I'm usually thinking. That said, I don't find toe up difficult or objectionable. I'm thinking I'll do toe up just to break out from the norm.



But CQ, what about your Sock in Sock? Well here's my progress. I'm working on the heel and will soon reach the point for turning. I'll probably be calling Laurie for some advice but worst case scenario, I think I can manage. I'll also be working on plying my spinning. Julia's posts have been urging me on with this. There's also a baby sweater deadline around the corner. So there's a crunch for knitting coming and I'm going to get it done. I'm also thinking about what to make with the yarn I bought from Tess. Right now I'm thinking longer sweater, center cable surrounded by Fibonacci ribs. Input welcome. :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

love the new rockin' sock colorway... not finding myself too crazy for their patterns.
Blooming Yarns has(d) those stitch keepers in stock...
Happy Solsitice, keep your pertinent body parts out of the bonfire!